The Government of Lithuania plans legitimizing the dual citizenship in Lithuania. It is planned to legitimize dual citizenship in Lithuania within a period of 2.5 years, i.e. by the year 2020.
Today the draft plan of measures for implementation of the governmental programme has been presented to the governing majority and it points out that dual citizenship in Lithuania should be legitimized in the fourth quarter of the year 2019. The major institutions responsible for the said process will be the Ministry of Justice and the Ministry of Interior.
This intention of the Government of Lithuania is important for the whole Lithuanian World Community, Lithuanian emigrants and their progeny who are citizens of a foreign state and strive to preserve the citizenship of Lithuania.
At present, dual citizenship is possible in Lithuania in certain exceptional cases. According to provisions of the Law of Republic of Lithuania, a person may be simultaneously a citizen of Lithuania and a citizen of another state in the following cases:
1. A person was expatriated from occupied Lithuania before 11 March 1990 and acquired a citizenship of another state;
2. A person left Lithuania before 11 March 1990 and acquired a citizenship of another state;
3. A person is a child of above-mentioned persons;
4. A person had acquired a citizenship of Lithuania and a citizenship of another state by birth or on the base of the child adoption;
5. A person had registered a marriage with a citizen of another state and acquired a citizenship of another state;
6. A person was granted a citizenship of Lithuania on an exceptional basis while being a citizen of another state;
7. A person was granted a citizenship of Lithuania while having a status of a refugee in Lithuania.